Deciding between folding electric wheelchairs or disassembling wheelchairs can be tricky. You want the power chair that is the most hassle-free, budget-friendly, and durable. But, the search for the perfect portable power chair gets overwhelming with all of the options on the market. Luckily, we are going to be breaking down the pros and cons of folding electric wheelchairs and disassembling wheelchairs to help you choose the best option. First, we are going to go over folding electric wheelchairs.
Folding Electric Wheelchair
Like the name implies, a folding electric wheelchair folds in just a few steps. There is an example of the EasyGo folding electric wheelchair below. When this chair is folded, it becomes the size of a small suitcase or carry-on, making it easy to transport. In fact, it can fit in the trunk of most vehicles. These chairs tend to be lighter than disassembling electric wheelchairs, meaning they are easier for low-motility individuals to move without help.
- Folds and unfolds in seconds.
- Lightweight, making it easy to load into the trunk of a vehicle. If you are unable to lift the chair, handy EasyLoad vehicle climbers can assist.
- Airline, cruise, and travel friendly with lithium ion batteries.
- Foldable electric wheelchairs typically weigh between 40 and 50 pounds. This means that there could be a learning curve when you are trying to load it into your vehicle for the first time, but again there are accessories to assist.
Disassembling electric wheelchairs typically breaks down into three to five separate parts. They can be broken down by twisting off parts, unscrewing parts, or unhinging parts. As you can imagine, a lot of individuals who are needing mobility help won’t be able to take apart their chairs on their own. This is because it takes quite a bit of mobility. Additionally, it can take upwards of 10 minutes to disassemble these chairs. And, if it’s not put back together correctly it can be dangerous.
- These chairs generally have higher weight limits than folding power chairs.
- Each piece individually weighs less than 36 pounds, which can be helpful if you have more dexterity but prefer lightweight pieces.
- If you have someone to assist you, this chair can be practical for everyday use.
- Difficult to disassemble if you have mobility and/or dexterity limitations.
- More expensive than foldable electric wheelchairs, with some being twice as expensive.
- The individual pieces are more likely to get lost and/or damaged when the chair is broken down, meaning you could be spending even more over the years trying to keep your chair in good condition.
Which is Best?
If simplicity, affordability, independence, and travel-friendly are what you’re looking for, I think the winner here is a no-brainer. With almost 20 years of experience, we have seen first-hand how the pros of foldable power chairs outweigh the pros of power chairs that can be disassembled. As a result, foldable power chairs are a great way to get your independence back.
EasyGo Mobility Folding Power Chairs
Now that you’re sold on getting a foldable power chair over a take apart electric wheelchair, you’re probably wondering what the best foldable power chair is. Don’t worry, we have you covered. EasyGo Mobility offers two variations of the folding power chair, the Elite Model and the Standard Model. Both of these chairs are great options, folding in 2 seconds. Their unique lithium ion batteries ensure that you get a lot of power, and durability, in addition to being more eco-friendly and safe to take on a plane.
As you can see, there are a number of differences between folding electric wheelchairs and wheelchairs that can be taken apart. The best one for you depends on what you value, your budget, and other considerations. If you have any questions about folding electric wheelchairs don’t hesitate to give us a call at +1-833-709-3499 or send us an email to email@example.com.